Friday, November 09, 2007

Chapped Lips??

Ever wonder why chapped lips hurt or irritate so much? Especially when you have that flu that gets every bit out of you? So I've come up with a few theories which probably, if not definitely, are childish and stupid. At first, I thought, like any normal person would, it is probably because of the weather. It is kinda chilly so that should be it. But then again, with me having the flu (aka bacterial infection or walking pneumonia---yeah don't ask) I haven't really stepped out of my pad. God I love the Internet and the ability to do almost EVERYTHING online... Ok That Theory is out...Next Theory....Dehydration...but with the amount of water I'm drinking, I'm sure my bladder alone can support an entire drought. So that's out...So to Humor myself I came up with a ridiculous theory, which is:...My Lips haven't been getting much action lately so it's a sign that I need to up my game... As I crack up at this theory because part of me could be stupid enough to actually believe it, my lips hurt even more and seriously chapstick, you aren't working quite well right now so I might have to fire you...But before I do that, I decided to take a stroll on good ole Google to find other remedies...so this is what I found. (FYI..the comments in purple are my thoughts)

Here's what you can do to keep your lips soft and moist:
Don't lick your lips. It may make your lips feel better temporarily, but you'll be making matters worse. Licking your lips has the same drying effect as constantly washing your hands; the repeated exposure to water actually robs moisture from the skin, causing it to become dry.

Seriously....isn't that the first thing you think of doing... ????And I'm still doing it!

Use a lip balm. Numerous products are available over the counter. Pick one that you like so you'll use it frequently. Most lip balms are waxy or greasy and work by sealing in moisture with a protective barrier. Plain old petroleum jelly works just fine, too.
Petroleum jelly huh...I guess coz the damn chapstick is just not working!!! no matter how much I slather it on, it's not going...

Screen out the sun. The sun's ultraviolet rays can damage and dry the sensitive skin on your lips in the
same way they can harm the skin on other parts of your body. Indeed, the lips are a common site for skin cancer, since they don't contain melanin, a pigment (coloring) that helps protect skin from ultraviolet rays. Certain skin cancers that appear on the lips may be more serious and more likely to spread, too, so if you'll be out in the sun, use a lip balm that contains sunscreen. Choose a product that has an SPF (sun protection factor) of 15 or higher.
Check...i haven't been going out so I'm covered...though my chapstick does come with SPF 15 and still taste like vanilla mint.

Wear lipstick. OK, this advice may apply only to female readers. But dermatologists say older women are less likely than older men to have skin damage on their kissers, especially on the lower lips, and lipstick may be the reason. Lipstick appears to offer moderately effective protection against the sun's ultraviolet rays, and these days you can purchase lipstick that includes sunscreen, for even greater protection. Lipstick acts as a moisturizer, too.
I'm home...who's gonna see my lips...but I guess it makes a difference when I prove my ridiculous theory wrong... hehe

Check out your toothpaste. You might want to consider whether an allergy to your toothpaste or mouthwash could be to blame for the rough, red skin on your lips. Try switching brands of toothpaste and skipping the mouthwash for a few days to see if the problem clears. Also, rinse well after brushing.
Ok this is not an overnight remedy... hmmpf...I'm more of an instant remedy kind of girl...but you can be allergic to toothpaste..I thought they all contained the same stuff...

Watch what passes between them. When lips are chapped, they're more sensitive, and certain foods can irritate them. Hold off on pepper, mustard, barbecue sauce, orange juice, and alcoholic beverages to give your lips a break as they heal.
Hold off on PEPPER!!!! Are you Nuts!?! That's like telling an idiot in Bangladesh that hes not getting any Yaba TONIGHT! Mustard, BBQ sauce, OJ and even alcoholic beverages i can deal with but seriously? Peppers...I think I'm going to have to rethink this.


"Remembering these home remedies will keep you smiling about how your lips look."

So this is how the article ends...well it has credits and all which I'm not posting here only because I'm linking the article down below...But the only thing that I can think of is my BLOODY CHAPSTICK IS NOT WORKING AND I NEED SMOOTH LIPS RIGHT AWAY!!!

Read The Article on Home Remedies for Chapped Lips

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips, I especially enjoyed the part about lips not getting enough action and therefore leading to chapping, how funny yet clever!

Gratitude

Waking up in my apt in Manhattan this morning has been no less than a full on surreal experience, only because I didn’t know if it was going...