Wednesday, October 24, 2007

America, Where in the World Are You?

The other day, I was at my electrolysis appointment and I was talking to the lady, who single handedly has the ability and the clearance to give me pain by the nanosecond, about my future plans....The one that everyone knows about...ME MOVE TO DUBAI and what not and not to my surprise she didn't know where Dubai was located. Yes, I've gone through this since I first moved to the United States but it kind of made me slightly worried that even with recent developments in the news she would at least know where the middle east is. What scared me even more was that she didn't even know that it was in the Asian continent! To her the Asian continent meant China, Japan...basically the far east. I was mortified when she didn't even know that Israel, her country of origin, was in Asia too!!! Are you kidding me?

I remember when I was a kid, by grade 4 we had to memorize the map and here a grown nearing 40 yr old woman didn't even know Israel was in Asia? When I first saw Dan Nainan's comedic act (video is down below) regarding Americans not being able to recognize a world map, ofcourse I laughed my head off but deep down thought, it can't be that bad....Well buddy smell the coffee...it's worse. I just don't seem to understand why Americans are soo uneducated about the world. Now I wont say that all are dumb but majority of them are! and its truly very sad.

Long time ago, a friend of mine had told me that one of the questions she had to answer for her immigration test was to answer who the current president of the USA was and ofcourse she answered and that was that. The correct granted her american citizenship but that was the only question...and you would think now thats an easy one. but no...apparentmy many americans cant even answer that question (look at my previous posts- funny videos). Another case of american stupidity was an answer that miss tean america pageant contestant - miss tean south carolina had given to the question of why a percentage of americans can not locate the United States of America in a world map. Watch this...




Unbelievable right???? But its true!!! So what do we do about this? A breath of fresh air was when my aunt and cousin had visited me for thanksgiving and basically told me that she was making our cousin memorize the map so he had general knowledge of the world. and to make him even more motivated, he is competing in different geography competitions. so as a game him and I played this quiz online where it tests your knowledge about the world. its really interesting....

I know rambled quite a bit and i probably should come back and edit this post but as for now it is what it is ....

Want to see how intelligent you are? check out the quiz sites that my cousin and I went through...

National Geographic's GeoBee Quiz


Fun Trivia

ENJOY! Oh and also enjoy the Dan Nainan video....he's hilliarious!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG!! I cannot believe that answer the pageant girl gave, ahahaha!

Gratitude

Waking up in my apt in Manhattan this morning has been no less than a full on surreal experience, only because I didn’t know if it was going...