Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"Aunty Jee, Can I Bum A Ciggie From You, Please?"

Yes, You read the title and NO, I'm not on Crack, nor am I a smoker! In the past couple of years, I've had the pleasure of meeting quite the "interesting characters". Other people could define them as hypocrites, but I, honestly, would like to be PC for once. Yeah, forget the fact that I am writing about them but oh well - if it weren't for them would I really have a blog today?!? But don't worry, I wont bore you with every single hypocrite I've met. Atleast not all on one day/blog...haha

In lieu of the movie, Thank You For Not Smoking, (not that i've watched this satirical comedy), today's blog is about smokers. Well more specifically, its about all those pious/religious ppl who preach to everyone to be something like Mother Mary but instead hide in a corner and take a swig of alcohol or smoke ciggies. Where am I going with this? Read on...

So being in New York, we have the pleasure of hosting plenty of visitors from out of town, state, and country. This one time (at band camp-sorry I couldnt resist!), we had an out-of-country visitor (I'm not naming any names just to protect them--I dont know why but oh well, it's the least i could do) and i was just telling her that I get premonitions and that when my grandfather passed away I had actually seen it happen 3 or 4 months prior to it happening. And occassionally here and there I see him in my dreams... This is when she asks me whether if I pray regularly or if I read the Qu'ran as a mean for prayers for the dead. And I said no, and this is when I got the lecture of my life how I should pray more often not for my sake but for my grandfather that it's his way of trying to communicate with me that he needs prayers etc... ok so seriously, I was moved and I thought that I really should, for my grandfather at least. After all this she had gone to the patio to join and chit chat with the folks. (yes if you havent guessed already, its about yet another aunty-jee making a difference in my life!) And i just sit for a few moments thinking this alone. And Then decide to join the 'rents...and look at what i see!!!

I see my aunty-jee smoking away with my father, her husband making fun of her as to why she hides and smokes and that she should do it in front of everyone! I swear...i didnt know what to say...whether I should laugh or be mad. ofcourse I just cracked up in my mind thinking, i'll be damned! Ok all the lecture you just gave me have no meaning and value now. how can u preach the religion when you yourself are going against it. Am I missing something? It was a blast listening to my uncle make fun of her ways and I just left it at that thinking...People...you gotta love 'em for being great entertainment when you least expect it!



At June 01, 2006 11:19 AM, Ehsan said...

Smoking is bad for health but it is not against our religion (assuming your faith is Islam). Preaching is favored in Islam but not mandatory. Auntie did not preach against smoking so can not really call her a hypocrite, hoping she prays for the dead souls herself.
I always enjoy the company of hypocrites. They always entertain me and I avoid making there mistakes. Its always how you look at them.

“Life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel.” I am the earlier one guess you fall in the later category.


At June 01, 2006 7:40 PM, Hamza said...

You have a great writing style! However, I disagree with your conclusion that you should discard her advice simply bc she doesn't practice what she preaches. Although it is a natural reaction, I dont find it to be logical. Truth should stand for itself. If she told you something that was good and true and you were moved by it, then that was good of her. If she then hid her smoking so that her air of piety would be maintained in front of others, then that was bad of her. They are two separate events. I agree that her bad behavior would put her good behavior in question, and you would be justified to be skeptical as to whether what she told you was even true. But if it moved you, you should take the trouble to find out if it is indeed true, and if it is, you should embrace the truth regardless of the character of the person who first pointed you towards it. In other words ... don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Just my two cents. :)


At June 10, 2006 3:37 PM, gr8gatsby said...


Don't think too much. But follow what you honestly believe is correct. (I say correct and not true.)

Hope you drop by my blog!

No comments:

Gratitude

Waking up in my apt in Manhattan this morning has been no less than a full on surreal experience, only because I didn’t know if it was going...