Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Hunch

After 2 long years, I'm finally going to Bangladesh to visit my family. I haven't seen my grandmother in such a long time that I can't wait. Especially to beat her at a game of "Aat guti LUDU" (Ludo for those of you who don't know) after the numerous accusations of cheating that come her way. Her response to it all is "Shuno, ami tomar nanu, ami churi kori na!" (Translation: "Listen, I'm your grandmother, I do not cheat!") Yeah right is all we think of...

I can finally play carrom with the cousins, go on long drives at night while listening to the latest mix my cousin made, or go to old town at 3am just to have glass of fresh milk or hard boiled egg. And then come back with Chicken Biryani for the rest. Good Times...

I know I sound very enthusiastic and excited, but there is part of me that is apprehensive about this whole trip. And it's all because of the things my friends and family are telling me. Basically the gist of the story is that everyone and their mothers have this hunch that on this trip back home, I'm going to find the man of my dreams and get married. Now I know in my previous blogs, I've mentioned the fact that I'm ready to settle down but seriously am i really? Maybe part of me is getting cold feet of the whole idea or possibly the fact that I'm not ready to really face the reality of life. Now that most of my friends are getting married or are looking to getting married, are we in that phase where we no longer get Naptime? I mean when and how did we get here? Wasn't it just yesterday we were playing catch in the dorm hallways.

The other night when i was talking to my aunt and she was telling me about her hunch, i asked her what makes her think that...All she said was she wasn't sure and that its just a good feeling about it. And when i asked my friends as to why they thought the same, they had the same reason. Is this a sign? Is something really going to happen in Dhaka? Something as drastic as me coming back engaged or married....Isn't that too soon? How come im not getting these good feelings!!! I mean I'm only going for a month....Who knows...I guess, I just have to hope for the best and just accept reality and what comes my way. Oh well...Dhaka here i come!


At July 20, 2006 2:48 AM, Anonymous said...

If you are ready then you are ready...though many of us try to believe in little superstitions like these. For example the whole butterfly concept. i heard that if a butterfly or a big bumble bee flies around you or even lands on you, you get married quite soon after. Has that happened to you?? I know its a wierd superstition but it did come true for a cousin of mine... Coincidence? Who knows!

No comments:

Gratitude

Waking up in my apt in Manhattan this morning has been no less than a full on surreal experience, only because I didn’t know if it was going...