Wednesday, November 09, 2022

Gratitude

Waking up in my apt in Manhattan this morning has been no less than a full on surreal experience, only because I didn’t know if it was going to happen any time soon. For those who don’t know, during my trip to London, I ended up in the icu as I went into sepsis shock from an ecoli bacterial infection and was intubated as I was having breathing problems with multiple organs failing. Rumors were floating that I had passed and to some degree and or briefly I may have, but like my friends, family and doctors said I fought like a warrior along with all of your constant prayers, concern and love and pulled through. Above all Allah (swt) heard all of your prayers and brought me back with a brand new lease on life. 


From the core of my heart and soul, I would like to thank and hug each and everyone of you who prayed, held prayers, gave continuous sadqah for me and those who religiously came everyday to the hospital to give Ammu moral support. I was truly touched when I heard that many of  you wanted to fly into London to be my side and my mom’s. Jui, you are nothing less than an angel in my life for dropping everything and flying in to be by Ammu’s side. Thank you for Always being my rock!!


Seeing friends/ family members/ staff shedding tears as a reaction to seeing me alive was just as emotional. We tend to forget our self worth but now I know how truly loved I am by all of you. I had heard from people I hadn’t heard from in years, all with full concern and love. My inboxes are flooded with many of your messages-Please bear with me as I still navigate through them all, just know I love you too. 


Few takeaways from this nightmare:

1. As much as I cursed many of the nurses during my delirium phase-and that too with the worst of bangla gaalis - the medical and nursing care I received was above and beyond, especially by Ruiz who’s now enjoying his annual leave in Portugal. Not being an easy patient, he really took care of me like I was his daughter constantly trying to figure out ways to feed me even though I dodged food like the plague but was finally was able to keep yoghurt in my system.

2. Constantly remember to tell your friends and family how much you love them because you never know if you will ever be able to again

3. Listen to your body when it tells you that you need to stop and relax

4. Finally and most important of all Brits can’t cook - PERIOD! 


They say it takes a village to raise a child, I’m requesting my village to forever be my side as I’ll need you more now as I slowly recuperate and regain my confidence to tackle the world again. The doctors did say initial recovery would be 2-3months and 6-8 months for full recovery.


But most importantly: MOM I LOVE YOU THE MOST!!! Sorry to put you through this nightmare!

No comments:

Gratitude

Waking up in my apt in Manhattan this morning has been no less than a full on surreal experience, only because I didn’t know if it was going...