From time to time, I've decided that I'm going to share some recipes that I've tried and tasted and have ABSOLUTELY LOVED. Here is one.....
This is a Base Recipe – Alter measurements when cooking for more or less.
4 Large Beef Steak tomatoes
4 Large Peppers
2 tbsp butter ghee or clarified butter
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 onions, chopped
8oz minced lamb
2 cinnamon sticks
2oz dried cherries or cranberries
.5 cup of bulgur
3 cups of lamb or chicken stock
.5 cup rice
.5 tsp salt
2 tsp dried mint or 2 tbsp of fresh mint
1 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of cracked black pepper
1 tsp soumak (optional)
- Roast tomatoes and peppers for 10 mins at 400 F- empty insides of vegetables
- Sautee Garlic, onions, lamb, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, black pepper and soumak on high for 5 to 6 mins
- Add the tomato pulp from tomatoes that are roasting, dried fruit, rice, bulgur, 2.5 cups of stock. Season with salt.
- Return to boil and cover
- Simmer for 10 mins.
- Cover dish with foil and bake again 350F for 40-45 mins until the rice is plump and liquid has absorbed
- Stuff veggies with rice
- Garnish with labne (middle eastern yogurt) and mint